Some of the material presented in this section is courtesy of Upward Coach, AVCSS Basketball, The Coaches Clipboard, and other sites, with modifications as appropriate.
The material in this section is targeted at coaches, players, and parents who are looking to understand some of the fundamentals of the game of basketball. These fundamentals include basic skills and positioning, such as definitions of offensive positions (e.g., point guard, shooting guard, power forward), the triple threat position, the jump stop, and basic footwork required of all good basketball players. Additional individual fundamentals and drills are provided for techniques involving basic ball handling, passing, shooting, and rebounding.
Following the sections focused on definitions and individual skills and drills, there are a number of sections that involve team play, including individual and team fundamentals of offense and defense. Included among the fundamentals of offense and defense are deploying and developing offenses for both man-to-man and zone defenses. Finally, there are some multipurpose drills included in this section and several options for out-of-bounds plays.
All of the information on this page is appropriate for youth basketball players and teams. Further, much of the information provided on these pages is also useful at all levels of basketball.
- Offensive Positions
- Triple Threat Position
- Jump Stop Position
- Pivoting: Front Pivot and Reverse Pivot
- Footwork (Including Drills)
- Ball Handling (Including Drills)
- Passing (Including Drills)
- Shooting (Including Drills)
- Rebounding (Including Drills)
- Defensive Fundamentals (Including Drills)
- Defenses: Man-to-Man and Zone (Including Drills)
- Offensive Fundamentals (Including Drills)
- Offenses: Man-to-Man and Zones (Including Drills)
- Multi-Purpose Drills (Including Drills)
- Out-of-Bounds Plays (Including Drills)